Posted Aug. 28, 2022 by reliq
Jerked Chicken (simply put; Jerk Chicken) is a delicious Jamaican dish enjoyed all year round. Make your own with this delicious recipe!
- 3½ lb chicken
- 6 sliced scotch bonnet peppers [or jalapenos]
- 2 tablespoons thyme
- 2 tablespoons ground allspice
- 8 cloves garlic (chopped finely)
- 3 medium onions (chopped finely)
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, to taste
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg, to taste
- 1 teaspoon ginger, to taste
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lime or lemon juice
- Chop the onions, garlic and peppers. No need to chop too fine because they will be liquidized by the blender.
- Blend all the ingredients, EXCEPT THE CHICKEN, in a blender to make the jerk sauce.
- Cut the chicken in to four quarters.
- Rub the sauce all over the chicken. Save some for basting and dipping later.
- Leave the sauced chicken in the fridge to marinate overnight.
- Bake in the oven (at 380 degrees F) for 30 minutes, then turn the chicken and bake for another 30 minutes – until cooked and desired baked/brown color achieved or Grill the chicken slowly until cooked, turning regularly.
- Baste with some of the remaining marinade while cooking.
For best results, cook over a charcoal barbeque. Preferably over a rack of pimento wood).
- Chop each quarter chicken into 5 or 6 smaller pieces using heavy cleaver.
- Use a wooden spoon (or similar utensil) to hold the chicken in place whilst chopping and NOT YOUR HAND as you will be chopping with a lot of pressure to cut through the bone.
Originally posted on jamaicanpass.com. (discontinued)